With advancements in technology, some gadgets from not too long ago have become obsolete. Back in the day, you were cool if you had some of these devices, but if you are seen with one now, you might get a few raised eyebrows. For many, these devices create a sense of nostalgia. For others, they are unrecognizable.
Today, the functionalities of many dated gadgets live in smartphones. For example, consider the few listed below.
- Pagers – Also referred to as beepers, pagers were small devices that received and/or sent brief messages. They were widespread in the 80s and 90s but have since become mostly obsolete. The fall of pagers was largely due to the rise of smartphones.
- Portable Cassette Players – These very popular gadgets made it possible to listen to music while on the move. They were in high demand through the 80s and a chunk of the 90s. Eventually, the popularity of these devices waned with the introduction of new audio formats, such as the compact disc. Now, skip ahead to the present. Smartphones offer streaming capabilities, making them the ideal music players of today.
- Boom Boxes – These portable music gadgets allowed users to either listen to the latest hits on the radio or play their own cassettes. These devices became a huge part of the culture but lost popularity mostly due to their bulky size, battery usage and the development of other musical devices. And like the portable cassette player, the abilities of the boom box are now integrated into smartphones.
- Dictation Devices – The introduction of dictation devices made many lives easier. No matter how fast information was delivered during school lectures, comments were never missed when a dictation device was recording. However, smartphones have superseded dictation devices, as most offer this functionality and much more.
- Film Cameras – In the past, film cameras were staples in most homes. The practice of taking photos was entirely different with these devices. Photographers had to really consider the photo being taken, as there were only 36 pictures per roll of film. With a smartphone, you can snap as many photos as you want and see them instantaneously. Plus, you don’t have to spend money developing photos that may include a nice picture of your thumb!
So, if you walked around your neighborhood with a boom box blaring in your ears, took vacation photos with a film camera or relied on a dictation device for your class notes, you too will appreciate the all-inclusive functionality of a smartphone. Visit any Chariton Valley retail location to select yours today. And if you already have a smartphone, maybe it’s time to upgrade. Oh, and did we mention we have amazing wireless plans and the best nationwide coverage? As always, we are here to help you make the most of technology! See you soon!