October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month, a nationally recognized time to learn more about the dangers of today’s cyber-driven world and ways to protect your family, devices, software and personal information while online.
At Chariton Valley, we do more than deliver fast, reliable fiber internet. We also provide the security tools and tips you need to help you stay cyber safe.
ProtectIQ network security protects ALL your connected devices and is provided FREE to ALL* Chariton Valley fiber customers.
Stay protected while you’re connected:
- 24/7 real-time threat protection
- Scans all network traffic before it gets to your devices
- Protects your most vulnerable devices, such as smart TVs, cameras and thermostats
- Blocks intrusions, threats, viruses and malware
With the ProtectIQ feature in the CV CommandIQ app, you can:
- Monitor blocked threats, intrusions and viruses
- Keep track of your connected devices to ensure they are protected
- Get immediate alerts when threats have been blocked
- Easily perform a security scan on all your devices
If you are off your secure home network and using public Wi-Fi or smartphone data, your devices are at the mercy of the safety protocols those networks have in place. We encourage you to be mindful when off your network.
If you add ExperienceIQ to your safety practices, you’ll enhance your online protection with the ability to manage your family’s devices and their access to content from the CV CommandIQ app. You take control and set the rules. Chariton Valley enforces them.
Control features include:
- Custom settings for each family member
- Screen time limits
- Usage and history
- Safe search
- Content filtering
- Preset off times
- Device and activity priorities
We also strongly recommend you follow the safety tips outlined below.
Create and Use Strong Passwords
As simple as it sounds, it is important to create strong passwords for your online accounts.
Effective password creation tips:
- Use passwords at least eight characters in length
- Never use personal information, such as your name or Social Security Number
- Use a combination of capital and lowercase letters with symbols and numbers
Use a Password Manager
A password manager is a digitally secure tool to save and guard access to your passwords. A password manager houses your effective passwords in one location for convenience, ending the frustration of remembering multiple passwords. Using an encryption algorithm, a password manager can also produce intricate passwords, making them difficult for hackers to ascertain.
Update Your Software
Usually, developers consistently monitor their operating systems, apps and programs for security weaknesses and threats to make improvements and fill in any gaps. Many developers include an auto-update feature or automatic notifications of available updates in their software. However, we suggest you do your own research to ensure you’re running the latest and most secure software currently offered.
Implementing these tools and tips will help keep your devices, software, personal data and, most importantly, your family cyber safe. Please feel free to contact us for more information.
*Subject to equipment capabilities.