FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 4, 2021
MACON, MO – May 4, 2021 – Today, Chariton Valley announced it is working to help build consumer awareness about the Emergency Broadband Benefit, a new Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program. The temporary benefit will help to lower the cost of broadband service for eligible households during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic.
The $3.2B Emergency Broadband Benefit program provides a discount of up to a $50 per month toward broadband service for eligible households. The benefit also provides up to a $100 per household discount toward a one-time purchase of a tablet if the household contributes more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase through a participating broadband provider, such as Chariton Valley.
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid or the FCC’s Lifeline program;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income through job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Emergency Broadband Benefit enrollment will begin on May 12, 2021. Eligible households can enroll through a participating broadband provider, such as Chariton Valley, or directly with the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) using an online or mail-in application. Additional information about the Emergency Broadband Benefit is available at www.cvalley.net/ebb/, or by calling 660-395-9000.
About Chariton Valley
Chariton Valley, Missouri’s premier communications provider, through its influential leadership, innovative advances and nearly 70 years of experience continues to enhance rural prosperity and rural living. Chariton Valley’s reliable network utilizes fiber and wireless facilities to expand connectivity to students, families, farmers, businesses, medical facilities and rural communities every day while also providing video services for a complete communications package. Chariton Valley’s success is driven by a commitment to deliver an exceptional customer experience and to continue supporting the communities it serves with pride. Learn more at www.cvalley.net.
# # #