In 2021, Chariton Valley implemented 10-digit dialing to make local calls for BOTH 660 and 573 area codes. Although we already require 10-digit dialing in ALL areas, including the 573 area code, all providers serving the 573 area will soon be required to implement 10-digit dialing. This is due to the Missouri Public Service Commission’s approval of the new 235 area code overlay being added to the area currently served by the 573 area code. The addition of the 235 area code is to ensure a continued supply of telephone numbers. Those issued this new area code will also have to dial 10 digits.
August 26, 2023, begins the permissive period when seven-digit dialing is still permitted. If you are a Chariton Valley phone customer, you are already dialing 10 digits. If you are not our customer and living in an area served by 573, you are encouraged to begin dialing the 573 area code plus the seven-digit phone number when making local calls to acclimate yourself to the new dialing procedure. In addition to changing your dialing routine, you’ll also have to reprogram seven-digit local numbers to 10-digit numbers if you use speed dial or any other system that automatically makes calls for you. Mandatory 10-digit dialing begins February 24, 2024.
What you need to know:
- All Chariton Valley customers, including those in the 573 area code, are already required to dial 10 digits when making local calls. Currently, if a local number is called not using 10-digit dialing on the Chariton Valley network, the call is not completed, and an automated message notifies you of the incomplete status. If you are a Chariton Valley phone customer, this is a reminder to continue dialing 10 digits when making calls on our network.
- All other companies serving the 573 area code will be required to implement 10-digit dialing within the area code by February 24, 2024.
- If you are in the 573 area code and a Chariton Valley phone customer, you are already dialing 10 digits when making local calls and will not be otherwise impacted. Costs will remain the same for local calls, and long-distance calls will still require one to be dialed.
- If you’re a new Chariton Valley phone customer in the 573 area code, other than dialing 10 digits after activation of your phone service, you will also not be impacted. However, we encourage you to reprogram any preset local numbers to include 10 digits to avoid the inconvenience of incomplete calls.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911 and 988 (National Suicide Prevention Lifeline), as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811, if these numbers are currently available in your community.